CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Prayer...

Dear Lord,
Thank you for this day and the many blessings you have given us. We ask you to watch over us and those that can not be with us, and forgive us of our many sins. Bless this food for the nourishment of our bodies.

In His name we Pray,
Amen


So, it's not exactly right, but pretty close! This is the prayer that I hear every night when my tiny family sits down to eat dinner. It's not always spoken aloud, but understood in our silence. We don't always eat at a table, or even in the same room, but before a bite is taken, the prayer is said. I didn't grow up in a household where we prayed at the dinner table every night. Not to say that I didn't grow up in a Christian way, we just embraced different traditions.

I learned at a very young age to talk to God as a friend. I'd often times find myself lying in bed staring blankly at the ceiling, or in my car with the radio off, just talking. I'd talk about my day, the things I wanted to do better, ask for some "advice" or a nudge in the right direction. To me God was my best friend. Over the years I have strayed, but always found myself back to the flock. I enjoy this new tradition my family has taken on, and find comfort in my husbands humble prayer.

I hope that when Lena grows into a beautiful young woman she will look back and remember this prayer. "That's the prayer daddy used to say every night before dinner." It's the impacts like this one that I can only hope and strive to provide my daughter.

We are not perfect people, but we are perfectly in love with one another and God!! hmmm....

0 comments:

Post a Comment